Wednesday 3 June 2009

cuddle time


I ran to the hospital again this morning. Dad was there visiting with Mom when I arrived. I sat on the bed next to Mom and chatted to her a bit...she slowly reached out her arm to me. I was unsure what she wanted but she let me know...she hooked her hand around my shoulder and pulled me into the crook of her shoulder so that my head rested on her arm and shoulder and drew me close. I snuggled with her like this for a good 30 minutes while she rested comfortably and as I chatted with Dad. She did the same thing with Kendra and Jonan yesterday...quite a treat!

Dad and I discussed how Mom has been teaching us about peace and demonstrating how to integrate it into our lives instead of tackling every obstacle head on with intensity and fight, but rather to approach it with an accepting spirit and try to conquer it by meandering through it like a river eventually gets through a mountain without disturbing the rock that it has conquered. Mom is the epitome of peace and serenity.

Mom's color has worsened today and her breathing is shallow and sporadic. She was quite agitated periodically today, an indication that she either needed to be turned or have her medication increased. She continues to attract numerous visitors all day long and though she enjoys it, I think she gets worn out but the family enjoys being able to chat with loved ones none the less. A continued big thanks for all the prayers and well wishes.

* this photo was taken December 2007

9 comments:

  1. Thank-you Kara for such a beautiful description of what it is your mother is teaching you and your family. It is inspiring. I read your blog everyday and it constantly touches my heart. Thank-you for sharing in this difficult but important time.

    love, Erin (Clark) Clayton

    ReplyDelete
  2. I, too, want to thank you for sharing this most sacred of time with us. We all love your family and Renie is certainly teaching me something everyday. I am grateful for the gospel that teaches us the things that Renie is so gracefully showing us. Take care Hatt family & know that many prayers are for you.

    Luv,

    Tina MacGougan

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for sharing this time with us! Your family continues to be an inspiration to me. Love to all!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This photo shows the pure love that exists between your parents, as well as the love they have for others. It does my heart good to see this picture.

    Much love to all of you,
    Carol

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Kara and all,

    Sorry about the comment. I was trying to get set up. I have more to say than "c". I have been looking on for about a four days now. My heart is bursting with love for you your Mum and Blaine and all your sweet brothers and sisters. Tell Renie I love her and am thankful for all the moments we shared. The times she gave me advice...and she was always right and it really ticked me off. I love you all sweet girl. Kiss Jennie for me.
    I had an argument with John the other morning and the read about the 3 tender kisses between your Mum and Dad, and had to call him and tell him I was sorry. (even though HE was wrong (haha)I also smiled to imagine Renie's flirty smile. I know it well. I love it.
    xoxo You are loved and prayed for all day long.
    Theresa (Patterson)and Johnny Rotten

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dear Hatt Family: I just yesterday started reading your blog thanks to Carol Ray. I knew you father when he was stake president and we lived in Maine. I appreciate your comments and pray Heavenly holds all of you in His arms each day. Sincerely, Tina Hull

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Hatt Family: I just yesterday started reading your blog thanks to Carol Ray. I knew your father when he was stake president and my family lived in Maine. I appreciate your comments and pray that Heavenly Father holds all of you in His arms each day. Sincerely, Tina Hull

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for sharing guys! I wish I could be there to be with you all, but know that I am there in spirit! I love you all and am happy to know that Aunt Renie is spending her time surrounded by love and peace
    Ashley

    ReplyDelete