Tuesday 19 May 2009

Company's Coming

Mom had a great surprise this weekend with the arrival of a few unexpected guests. Saturday evening was busy with the buzz of excitement as Jennie (mom's sister from Utah), Justin (the oldest boy) and his wife Kaiti rounded the corner to enter her room. Her smile was wide and her surprise was evident as she embraced each person wondering how they had so effectively hidden their plans from her. We secretly had a joke that because of all the meds mom's on, she wouldn't have remembered even if we had told her :) But, none the less, she was overjoyed to have them around her.

Just as she was recovering from that shock, in walked her brother Michael who had flown in from Fredericton for an impromptu visit. She was amazed that he was actually there to see her and spend time with her. Any of you who have spent much time with mom know that her greatest joy lies in the time she spends with her family. It pains her greatly that she doesn't live near any of her adult children and especially that she's without any of her sweet grandchildren. That being said, I don't know if we can ever fully understand what it meant to mom to have all those loved ones appearing with the specific purpose of spending time with her!

By all accounts, everyone was able to enjoy some great one-on-one time with mom. From treating mom to a manicure and pedicure to enjoying a sunny afternoon lounging in the sun with a spur of the moment photo shoot, there were some talks and some even greater laughs.


We continue to joke with mom about some of the things she has said while medicated. I'll just give you a taste. While mom was trying to explain to me that they were going to start feeding her intravenously, she told me they were going to start her on TVP (Textured Vegetable Protein - a soy product with consistency similar to ground beef) so you can just imagine the pictures I had in my mind of what would be floating around mom's IV bag! After a quick call to the nurse, she assured me it was not TVP, but was called TPN (Total Protein Nutrients) which is quite different. That mix up got a few good laughs.

As I am writing this post, Kalie should be snuggling nicely into a bed in mom and dad's home in North Bay and will be dad's "right hand man." She has always been a kindred spirit with dad and has had an ability to reach him on a level that has left us all in awe. We are hoping she can offer him support and strength on behalf of all his children.

While Justin, Kaiti and Michael have returned home to their respective lives, Jennie has been able to remain, keeping laughter and a peacefulness in mom and dad's home. We appreciate this more than she will ever know. We love her dearly and recognize the sacrifice of her family on our behalves. Thank you.

I have been able to share with mom the comments that have been left on the blog by loved ones. She always has a kind response and is touched that you're thinking of and praying for her. Please feel free to leave any comments you would like for mom and I will be sure she receives them. I know they are a ray of sunshine in her day!

6 comments:

  1. Thank you for the letting us know about the surprise visits from loved ones. Details like this are so uplifting.

    I had to laugh at the IV mixup. The idea of TVP floating in the bag is almost enough to put me off the stuff.

    How wonderful that Jenny is still there in North Bay. Jenny, please give Renie a hug for me.

    Love to all of you from Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just bought my ticket yesterday so I'll be going next Tuesday (May 26th.) Kara is also working on getting things together so she can come as well.

    Every time I think of you, it reminds me of all the silliness and fun you and mom have enjoyed over the years. You have been one of mom's most dear friends. Thank you for all the fond memories. We love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. :) Hey Hatt Family!

    Love you all!

    Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes I had heard about the fantastic Saturday with Renie, the laughing, joking and the fun being together...Blaine had told me about Jenny and Kalie arriving for a visit plus Justin & Kaiti coming for the weekend...However, Michael was a very nice surprise...And the humour was awesome. So glad you all could be there. I know it must have been hard for you to leave and return home. I guess it is the quality of the moments spent together that makes a difference. Kendra be sure to tell your Mom I am thinking of her...she knows I love her and there isn't a day that goes by that she isn't on my mind. Jenny after you give Renie a hug for Carol...please give her a hug for me and a kiss too. Hat's off to the girls for putting this blog up...It was a great idea. As always, I will be in touch with one of you again soon.
    Love you all,
    June

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dearest Hatt Family!

    We send our love and prayers. It is so wonderful to be able to stay so close in touch. Thank you for for all the hard work in putting this blog together! We miss you all and look forward to seeing you this summer. Kalie--guess I won't see you at the market this weekend! Give your mom a hug and tell her how wonderful and special that I know she is... Take care,

    Love--Karen, Matthew & Micah Doherty

    ReplyDelete
  6. This blog is an awesome idea -- and we were trying to enter a picture of your mom when she visited us at Christmas... we will send by email as it does not seem to allow this on this blog... and you can post it for us!
    Love and prayers continue to low you way
    Beth & Russ

    ReplyDelete